Red Sox, Greenland homeless shelter team to raise money
New Generation — which assists pregnant women, and new mothers and their young children who are homeless — and the Red Sox will host Fenway Park Day at the Second Generation Thrift Shoppe at 88 Hancock St. as part of the 100 Acts of Kindness initiative to help celebrate Fenway Park';s 100th anniversary throughout 2012.
Area residents can meet Wally the Green Monster and see the 2004 and 2007 World Series trophies during the event, which is scheduled for July 27 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Proceeds from sales at the Second Generation Thrift Shoppes in Greenland, Rochester and Seabrook benefit the homeless shelter, according to Jennifer Bisson, executive director at New Generation.
';What we need is for people to stop by the stores,'; Bisson said, adding that area residents can support the shelter while shopping for clothes, furniture, books, DVDs and other items for families.
Bisson hopes a visit from Wally and help from the Red Sox will encourage area residents to stop by the store in Rochester, which has seen a drop in sales since it was moved to Hancock Street -; formerly the site of Northeast Credit Union.
';You can actually find good things there,'; Bisson said, adding the stores are essential in keeping the shelter running.
Bisson stressed that donations to the shelter or the renovations are tax deductible.
- - - - - - - -
John Quinn may be reached at email@example.com.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.