May 24, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Keene man scammed people out of $3,800 with false cancer claim
KEENE - Preying on the goodness in people, a former Keene man raised nearly $4,000 by claiming he had cancer and needed help paying medical bills.
Logan Henry, 26, of Barre, Vt., pleaded guilty Tuesday in 8th Circuit Court, Keene District, to one count of theft by deception. He was given a 360-day jail sentence, deferred for six months on the condition of good behavior and full payment of $3,796 in restitution through the Keene Police Department. The 360 days will be suspended if he complies with the terms of the deferred sentence.
Police opened a criminal investigation on June 13 after a regional claims manager for C&S Wholesalers told police about Henry, a past employee, who was the subject of a website that purported he had cancer. The site was soliciting donations for medical costs.
However, investigators said C&S medical information indicated Henry had been out of work since July 2010 because of a shoulder injury. No cancer treatments had taken place.
Henry's website, hosted at "Gofundme.com" and titled "Help Logan Henry," was created on March 23 and included photographs of him. It indicated $3,796 was donated.
Police said Henry admitted his wrongdoing when interviewed by a detective and agreed to make full restitution to all who donated. Donors included family members as well as people he did not know.
Henry was arrested Tuesday on the theft charge and entered the guilty plea at his arraignment.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth drug raid nets four arrests for sale of heroin - 0
- Manchester Market clerk robbed by man armed with knife - 0
- Man who spent days under Salem woman's trailer recording sentenced to prison - 2
- Man sought for attempting to lure girl into white van near Nashua school - 0
- Lawyer who made porn videos of teenage daughter gets 40 years in jail - 33
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 9
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 3
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 1
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424