May 22, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Massachusetts man accused of robbing Salem supermarket bank
SALEM — A Lowell, Mass., man is expected to be charged for the July 2 bank robbery at Citizen’s Bank inside the Shaw’s supermarket.
An anonymous tip on Sunday helped Salem detectives identify Joseph Costello, 26, after he allegedly robbed another Citizen’s Bank location inside a Stop & Shop grocery store in North Andover, Mass., on Saturday, police said.
The tipster identified Costello as the robber and provided his whereabouts, police said.
Police said the physical description of the suspect and even the words used in a note passed to tellers in both robberies matched up.
Police from Salem, North Andover and Wilmington, Mass., along with Massachusetts state police, worked to confirm Costello’s identity and locate him, police said. He was taken into custody in Massachusetts.
Costello is being held on charges in connection with the North Andover robbery. A warrant has been issued for Costello in connection with the July 2 robbery in Salem, police said.
The Salem robbery happened just after 2 p.m., and Costello did not get away with the money.
A dye pack stuck inside the bag with the money exploded as he fled from the scene, causing Costello to leave the cash behind, police said.
Police say Costello, who was dressed in a black hat, T-shirt and sunglasses, was given money after he passed a note claiming he had a bomb and a hostage.
A police dog came to scene and tracked the suspect to a nearby parking lot at a 7-Eleven store on Cluff Crossing Road. The trail ended there, police said.
- - - - - - - -
James A. Kimble may be reached at JKimble@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
- Manchester police seek Food Mart robber - 3
- No arrests in Manchester homicide; single shot to chest killed man - 11
- Jury finds Chester man guilty of sex assault - 1
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Hampton man indicted for Poker Room assault, robbery - 0
- UPDATED: Chester police seek two men in armed home invasion - 1
- Intruder, a burglar, and attempted break-in keep Manchester police busy - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs over an ounce - 6
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 0
- Gambling debate begins following frantic lobbying - 6
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 7
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 2
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- For now, no more breakfasts in Manchester's Veterans Park - 15
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424