Home » News » Public Safety
Burned Milton toddler to stay in hospital
LEBANON, Maine — A 2-year-old girl from Milton was released from intensive care Monday but will remain at a Boston hospital as she recovers from serious burns after falling on hot coals Sunday morning.
While he could not release the identity of the girl, Assistant Rescue Chief Jason Cole said she sustained “significant burns over the right side of her body” after she fell onto smoldering coals in her family’s fire pit at Flat Rock Bridge Family Resort around 6:28 a.m. Sunday.
Cole, who spoke to the girl’s father, said specialists are evaluating her to determine what treatments she may need for recovery, a process that will take some time.
“Her burns are serious and she’ll be in Boston for a while,” Cole said, adding the girl who was flown by helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital following the incident Sunday, may eventually be transferred to the Shriner’s Hospital.
“The family is very appreciative of all the support of the community and friends and family,” Cole said in an email.
Cole said members of the Lebanon Rescue Department, who plan to visit her when she’s more stable, transported the girl to a nearby airstrip at Skydive New England, where she was airlifted by helicopter to Boston.
Cole said a Maine fire warden investigated the incident, determined the girl accidentally fell onto the fire while she was playing with her family. He added the family had been using the fire pit the night before.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 1
- Death investigation under way in Manchester, no foul play suspected - 3
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 1
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 39
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?