Home » News » Public Safety
Fire caused by lightning strike smouldered for hours in Belmont
BELMONT - A lightning strike is being blamed for a fire in a Darby Drive home Wednesday morning that displaced two people and caused an estimated $85,000 in damage.
According to a fire department press release, Donald and Kathleen Carlsonĺs home at 410 Darby Drive was struck by lightning Tuesday night. The lightning traveled along the wiring inside the walls where it eventually started a fire.
Mr. Carlson noticed the smoke Wednesday about 5:25 a.m. and saw flames in the wall of one of the bedrooms.
He woke his wife, and the couple, along with their two cats, fled the home.
Firefighters ran 1,400 foot of hose from a fire hydrant and began an interior attack of the fire, which was concentrated in the attic. Firefighters were ordered out of the building as flames went through the roof.
Ultimately, the blaze was put out by firefighters from Belmont and other towns including Gilford and Tilton-Northfield.
The home was equipped with smoke detectors, but due to the fire being in the wall and attic, they did not activate, according to fire officials.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry blanks Exeter for third shutout in a row - 0
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 0
- Sen. Rand Paul in NH: Too early for judgments in IRS probe - 1
- Rabid raccoons in Hanover raise ‘rabies season’ concerns - 0
- Wanted fugitive arrested by U.S. Marshals in Manchester - 0
- Gregg named CEO of Wall Street lobbying group - 1
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 2
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse