Home » News » Public Safety
Bear, biker collide in New Boston
NEW BOSTON — A motorcycle ride through the winding roads of Southern New Hampshire seemed like a perfect way to spend a first date for Karen Morency and Edward Grace — until a black bear picked a bad moment to cross the road.
Morency, of Lowell, Mass., and Grace, who lives in New Ipswich, decided to take their motorcycles for a ride to Harlow’s Pub in Peterborough about 1 p.m. Thursday. They took the back roads, following the Francestown Turnpike through New Boston.
Grace was riding his Harley-Davidson in front of Morency, who said she saw a bear start to come out of the woods.
“I thought, ‘Oh, a bear! How cute,” she said. “It wasn’t a baby bear. This was a big bear.”
As she watched, Grace and the bear collided.
“I honestly couldn’t tell you whether Ed hit the bear or the bear hit Ed, because it happened so fast” she said. “All I saw was chrome and fur flying everywhere.”
Grace was able to rebound from the impact and didn’t dump the motorcycle, which likely allowed him to avoid serious injury.
The bear rolled around a bit, shook himself off and walked back into the woods, Morency said.
The chrome crash bar on Grace’s bike was bent to a 45-degree angle and the front fender was mangled, with a tuft of thick brown fur sticking out of the metal.
Grace was taken to Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough with possible injuries to his ankle, said New Boston Police Officer Justin Fournier.
Morency said she hopes she and Grace have a chance to have another date.
“It’s certainly an interesting way to start a relationship,” she said.
- - - - - - - -
Nancy Bean Foster may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 0
- Derry police recover stolen box for worn flags - 0
- Chief to Chef: Charlestown veteran chief leaving for food venture - 0
- Fire Marshal's Office didn't condemn school's historic stage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Slippery slide makes Monday driving tough - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072