Home » News » Public Safety
Rochester police seek driver who left the Commons after a vehicle caught fire following an accident Thursday evening.
ROCHESTER — Police are looking for a driver of a car with Maine plates who left the Commons after a vehicle caught fire following an accident Thursday evening.
Police, firefighters and paramedics responded around 7:22 p.m. after a 2005 Dodge Caravan, operated by Dana Smith, 63, of Rochester, left the road as it was traveling southbound along South Main Street. It drove onto the sidewalk and through a wooden fence bordering the walking path at the Commons before coming to a stop, according to police.
Smith and his unidentified passenger were both able to get out of the Caravan, which became entangled by several wooden posts and caught fire. Firefighters extinguished the fire, which caused an unknown amount of damage, according to police.
South Main Street was closed until the Caravan was towed from the scene.
Paramedics from Frisbie Memorial Hospital examined Smith and his passenger, who refused treatment, but they did transport a 10-year-old girl to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries after she was struck by flying debris while walking in the Commons, according to police.
During the investigation, police determined another vehicle — a small car, possibly a Ford with different colored body panels and Maine registration — was involved in the collision. The driver of the second vehicle did not stop after the accident or wait for police.
As a result, officers are looking to identify the driver for questioning as part of the ongoing investigation, according to police.
Anyone with information about this accident is asked to contact Officer Andrew Jackson at the Rochester Police Department (603) 330-7128, to leave an anonymous tip on the Rochester Crimeline at (603) 335-6500 or submit an online report via the Crimeline link at http://rochesterpd.org/.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Afterschool activities canceled in Jaffrey - 0
- Banker convicted of fraud in scheme involving press maker exec - 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 10
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 13
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013