MANCHESTER — Bail was set at $60,000 cash/surety Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division for a New York man who was arraigned in Elliot Hospital on charges of attempted aggravated sexual assault, taking a firearm from law enforcement, simple assault, two counts each of criminal mischief and criminal threatening and a charge of resisting arrest.
Nestor Milanes, 19, had been staying at a Maple Street address where he is accused of causing damage and attacking his roommate, threatening to kill her and assault her sexually.
Police were called to the area of Salmon and Oak streets about 9:30 a.m. Sunday for a reported disorderly person who allegedly was running into the road in front of vehicles, chasing cars, and grabbing onto vehicles as they tried to pass.
Officers said they found Milanes straddling a sprinkler in a nearby yard. He allegedly refused commands to stop and charged at an officer, engaging in a violent struggle, attempting to pull the officer’s firearm from its holster and trying to bite the officer’s hand and fingers, police said.
Police said it took two additional officers to subdue and handcuff Milanes.
Police later learned of the alleged incidents inside the Maple Street address.
They also learned that Milanes allegedly had been approaching vehicles, standing in front of one and damaging the hood by punching it.
He also reportedly grabbed onto another vehicle whose driver tried to back away, resulting in Milanes falling to the ground and being dragged, sustaining “road rash” injuries.
Milanes was transported to the hospital for treatment of his injuries and for observation.
A probable cause hearing on the felony charges was set for Aug. 7 and trial on the misdemeanor charges was set for Oct. 17.
History affects bail
Louis Sverkos, 45, of 120 Fishervill Road, Concord, pleaded innocent Monday in circuit court to misdemeanor charges of simple assault, criminal threatening and false imprisonment.
Several calls to police Sunday morning about a woman in a red or maroon car screaming for help in the area of Catholic Medical Center and later on Maple Street, prompted police to stop Sverkos’ car near 769 Beech St.
Police said they learned the couple was arguing while driving from Bedford into Manchester and Sverkos allegedly punched the woman in the back of the head and pulled her by the hair when she tried to get out of the car.
He also allegedly threatened to kill her if she tried to get out.
Sverkos sought personal recognizance bail, but police prosecutor Lt. Ron Mello sought $15,000 cash/surety bail, saying Sverkos has prior domestic-related convictions, including some involving the same victim.
Mello said Sverkos’ most recent conviction involving the woman was in February, carrying a suspended one-year sentence.
Mello sought bail conditions barring Sverkos from contact with the woman and from going to her residence, which had been with Sverkos in Concord.
Sverkos responded, “She’s not on the lease.”
He told Judge Gregory Michael, “She’s with her mother in Weare.”
Michael set bail at $7,500 cash/surety. Trial was set for Sept. 20.
No criminal record
Prosecutor Mello sought $5,000 cash/surety bail Monday for a woman accused of attempting to strangle a man, punching him about the body and face – causing a bloody nose – and struggling with officers attempting to arrest her.
Nichelle Nicholas Bell, 34, of 452 Pine St., could enter no plea to the felony second-degree assault charge and pleaded innocent to the three misdemeanor charges.
“I was hoping for PR (personal recognizance bail),” Bell told Judge Michael.
After hearing that Bell has no criminal record, Judge Michael set bail at $5,000 personal recognizance, but told Bell she can have no contact with the alleged victim and cannot go to his residence.
A probable cause hearing on the felony charge was set for Aug. 2 and trial on the misdemeanors was set for Sept. 20.
Allegedly showed gun
Jose Ramirez, 17, of 100 Milford St., could enter no plea to two felony charges of armed robbery.
Ramirez is accused of lifting his shirt, showing a gun tucked into his waistband and telling two juveniles it was a robbery.
They allegedly handed over cellphones, an iPod and cigarettes, according to court documents.
Prosecutor Mello requested $2,000 cash/surety bail, saying it was to help assure Ramirez’ appearance, because twice last year he was reported missing by his parents.
Bail conditions also bar contact with the two alleged victims.
A man charged with second-offense driving while intoxicated told Judge Michael, “I fell asleep in my car.”
Police said Andrew Weiss, 42, of 267 Kelley St., was locked in the car, which was stopped and with the engine running, and they had extreme difficulty waking Weiss and keeping him awake.
Weiss allegedly swore repeatedly at the officers, refused to get out of the vehicle and attempted to put the car in reverse, despite there being a police cruiser immediately in back of the vehicle.
“I’m actually a very responsible citizen,” Weiss told Judge Michael. “I support two children...I have my own business.”
Prosecutor Mello requested $1,000 cash/surety bail for Weiss, with a requirement that Weiss return to the police department to complete the booking process because he had not cooperated after his arrest.
Michael set bail at $1,000 personal recognizance, with the booking process condition and another condition.
“No drinking pending trial,” Michael said, adding that means absolutely no drinking.
Trial was set for Oct. 25.