Home » News » Public Safety
Candle in freezer damages Hampton Beach condos
HAMPTON – A candle left burning in a freezer accidentally started a fire which activated a sprinkler system, damaging rooms in a three-story condominium along Route 1A Tuesday morning.
Firefighters responded to Jonathan’s on the Oceanfront hotel and apartments at 415 Ocean Boulevard – Route 1A — at Hampton Beach at 9:02 a.m. Deputy Fire Chief Jameson Ayotte said it didn’t take long for firefighters to get the fire under control.
“Firefighters did a great job. They got right in there and knocked it (the fire) down quickly,” Ayotte said, referring to the fact some reports indicated the fire was out around 9:30 a.m.
“It was contained to one apartment,” Ayotte said, adding the sprinkler system prevented the fire from spreading.
Ayotte said the apartment where the fire began sustained the most damage from the fire, but others were damage from smoke and water. He added it may take three to four days before residents may return to their homes.
“It appears to be accidental,” Ayotte said, confirming a resident was attempting to defrost a freezer with a candle.
Ayotte said investigators continued to work at the scene Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters from Exeter and Seabrook responded to the scene to assist local crews while firefighters from Hampton Falls, North Hampton and Portsmouth provided station coverage, Ayotte said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 6
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 0
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 1
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 11
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 29
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
License revocations for DWI announced