Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Thief makes off with $300 small animal, called a sugar glider, from Zoo Creatures in Plaistow
PLAISTOW — Workers at Zoo Creatures are on the lookout for a 9-week-old Australian sugar glider after they say a thief stuffed the small animal into his pocket and slid quietly out a side door.
The sugar glider, which is valued at $300 and looks like a miniature flying squirrel, had just arrived at the store Monday and was placed in a bird cage, but it disappeared Wednesday when a man stole it and sped off in a yellow BMW, said Dan Bilodeau, manager of the pet store on Route 125.
Bilodeau said the man entered the store around 3 p.m. and walked over to the cage. Moments later he took off, but Bilodeau wasn't aware of the animal's disappearance until a customer came in and asked to see the sugar glider.
“We went to show him and we noticed it was missing,” Bilodeau said.
At that point, Bilodeau said the store's video surveillance cameras were checked and showed the man stealing the animal, but by that time he was long gone.
Bilodeau said the store occasionally sells Australian sugar gliders and this one had arrived Monday and was supposed to be sold to a specific customer.
He said the animal is friendly, as it was hand-raised.
“If this thing were a little mean, he would have had his hands full,” Bilodeau said.
Police were notified of the theft and are awaiting images from the surveillance cameras.
Bilodeau described the suspect as a Hispanic man, approximately 250 pounds, with long hair on one side and shaved on the other.
“I've seen him in here a couple of times before,” Bilodeau said. “Hopefully we'll catch this guy and get the animal back.”
To help them catch future thieves, Bilodeau said the store plans to add cameras that will be able to capture license plate numbers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 2
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 0
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
- Two in Keene robbed at home - 0
- Mass. man accused in sex assault of teen in Nashua - 0
- Police seek 4 teens for Manchester robbery - 0
- Manchester man charged in forklift theft - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 1
- Reams threatens to sue county commissioners - 2
- Mont Vernon picks Milford officer as next police chief - 0
- NH veterans remember attack on Pearl Harbor - 0
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424