Nashua 14-year-olds roll in N.E. Babe Ruth tournament
Nashua jumped to a five-run lead after its first at bat and led by eight after two innings as the New Hampshire state champion downed host Suburban, Vt., 9-3, as the New England Babe Ruth 14-year-old Baseball Tournament opened in Winooski, Vt., Saturday night.
The game was terminated, with the consent of both teams and the umpires, after six innings of play because of darkness. There are no lights at the facility.
“We pitched just about every pitcher on our team as we saw how the game was unfolding,” said Nashua coach Shannon Dunn. “We got a lot of early experience for our pitchers and our bench players. Everyone played at least one inning as we rested the starters early.”
Leading the Nashua offense were DJ McCord who hit a triple and Mike Habibi who went two-for-four. The Gate City squad finished with eight hits and took advantage of a half dozen bases on balls.
Nashua sees its first winners' bracket game this evening against Leominster, Mass., at 6 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Mont Vernon murder mastermind drops appeal, citing 'personal and moral' reasons - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Lackey's performance key for Sox - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Fremont man returned to face NH charges
State puts out call for foster parents
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840