Nashua 14-year-olds roll in N.E. Babe Ruth tournament
Nashua jumped to a five-run lead after its first at bat and led by eight after two innings as the New Hampshire state champion downed host Suburban, Vt., 9-3, as the New England Babe Ruth 14-year-old Baseball Tournament opened in Winooski, Vt., Saturday night.
The game was terminated, with the consent of both teams and the umpires, after six innings of play because of darkness. There are no lights at the facility.
“We pitched just about every pitcher on our team as we saw how the game was unfolding,” said Nashua coach Shannon Dunn. “We got a lot of early experience for our pitchers and our bench players. Everyone played at least one inning as we rested the starters early.”
Leading the Nashua offense were DJ McCord who hit a triple and Mike Habibi who went two-for-four. The Gate City squad finished with eight hits and took advantage of a half dozen bases on balls.
Nashua sees its first winners' bracket game this evening against Leominster, Mass., at 6 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Golf: Smith still chasing his dream at 33 - 0
- Australian Adam Scott wins Masters in playoff - 1
- Cabrera, Snedeker share lead - 0
- Tiger drops into more hot water - 0
- Day grabs Masters lead; teen survives the cut - 0
- Garcia, Leishman share Masters lead - 0
- Masters tourney widens weekend field - 0
- Laird fires 63 to beat McIlroy by two strokes in Texas Open - 0
- Points holds nerve to win Houston Open and Masters invite - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Vending machines go natural - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840