Nashua 14-year-olds roll in N.E. Babe Ruth tournament
Nashua jumped to a five-run lead after its first at bat and led by eight after two innings as the New Hampshire state champion downed host Suburban, Vt., 9-3, as the New England Babe Ruth 14-year-old Baseball Tournament opened in Winooski, Vt., Saturday night.
The game was terminated, with the consent of both teams and the umpires, after six innings of play because of darkness. There are no lights at the facility.
“We pitched just about every pitcher on our team as we saw how the game was unfolding,” said Nashua coach Shannon Dunn. “We got a lot of early experience for our pitchers and our bench players. Everyone played at least one inning as we rested the starters early.”
Leading the Nashua offense were DJ McCord who hit a triple and Mike Habibi who went two-for-four. The Gate City squad finished with eight hits and took advantage of a half dozen bases on balls.
Nashua sees its first winners' bracket game this evening against Leominster, Mass., at 6 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 10
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Updated: House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
License revocations for DWI announced
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840