Nashua 14-year-olds roll in N.E. Babe Ruth tournament
Nashua jumped to a five-run lead after its first at bat and led by eight after two innings as the New Hampshire state champion downed host Suburban, Vt., 9-3, as the New England Babe Ruth 14-year-old Baseball Tournament opened in Winooski, Vt., Saturday night.
The game was terminated, with the consent of both teams and the umpires, after six innings of play because of darkness. There are no lights at the facility.
“We pitched just about every pitcher on our team as we saw how the game was unfolding,” said Nashua coach Shannon Dunn. “We got a lot of early experience for our pitchers and our bench players. Everyone played at least one inning as we rested the starters early.”
Leading the Nashua offense were DJ McCord who hit a triple and Mike Habibi who went two-for-four. The Gate City squad finished with eight hits and took advantage of a half dozen bases on balls.
Nashua sees its first winners' bracket game this evening against Leominster, Mass., at 6 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dodgers shut out Cardinals in NLCS Game 3 - 0
- Manchester Memorial grad Chris Lambert enters Boston College Hall of Fame - 1
- Finally, Tampa Bay's Sam Fuld gets to meet new son - 0
- Rays blank Indians in wild card game, headed to Boston for ALDS - 0
- Conway’s Locke left off Pirates’ playoff roster - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Playoff roster is Farrell's job - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Champagne dream leads to job applicant’s arrest - 1
- Wanted Vermont man evading capture allegedly tried to run over officer - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- AG: Failed suicide attempt led to expectant couple's deaths - 5
- Glitches tied to Medicaid rollout now resolved, officials say - 0
- Rockingham County Attorney files lawsuit to access office, but doors remain locked - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Former Ambassador Bolton criticizes Kuster's 'lack of knowledge' on Libya - 3
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Top NH political pros to head new Boston office of nationally-known consulting firm
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840