LeBel All-Stars washed out Saturday, return to action today at noon
Heavy rains drenched western Massachusetts Saturday afternoon and halted play at the New England 13-year-old Babe Ruth Regional Tournament in Westfield, Mass., with Manchester's Ray LeBel All-Stars trailing Bennington, Vt., 2-1, in the bottom of the second inning.
The teams will return to the diamond today at noon to resume the losers' bracket contest.
Manchester grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning as Drew Merrick singled home Pat Swanson with the game's first run. But the Vermonters responded with two runs in the home half of the frame as LeBel starting pitcher Cam Nowawski issued several bases on balls.
Manchester manager Tony Doucet expects Nowawski to take the ball to the hill when the game resumes today.
“He a big strong kid with a good hard fastball and when he's on he's tough to hit,” said Doucet. “He had a little bit of wildness, but the timing of the rain today was bad because he was starting find his rythm and was throwing strikes in the second.”
Manchester, which suffered a 14-4 setback to host Westfield, Mass., Friday, must win today to remain alive in the double-elimination tourney.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840