LeBel All-Stars washed out Saturday, return to action today at noon
Some things to watch for as EL season winds down
Heavy rains drenched western Massachusetts Saturday afternoon and halted play at the New England 13-year-old Babe Ruth Regional Tournament in Westfield, Mass., with Manchester's Ray LeBel All-Stars trailing Bennington, Vt., 2-1, in the bottom of the second inning.
The teams will return to the diamond today at noon to resume the losers' bracket contest.
Manchester grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning as Drew Merrick singled home Pat Swanson with the game's first run. But the Vermonters responded with two runs in the home half of the frame as LeBel starting pitcher Cam Nowawski issued several bases on balls.
Manchester manager Tony Doucet expects Nowawski to take the ball to the hill when the game resumes today.
“He a big strong kid with a good hard fastball and when he's on he's tough to hit,” said Doucet. “He had a little bit of wildness, but the timing of the rain today was bad because he was starting find his rythm and was throwing strikes in the second.”
Manchester, which suffered a 14-4 setback to host Westfield, Mass., Friday, must win today to remain alive in the double-elimination tourney.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH native Jeff Locke masterful in Pittsburgh victory over Astros - 0
- Conway's Jeff Locke frustrates Cardinals - 0
- Conway's Locke beaten by Dodgers in first Pirates start - 0
- Kevin Gray's On Baseball: Home cooking suiting Nolan - 0
- NH's Jeff Locke remains in big leagues as Pittsburgh starter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
- New Hampshire Religion News in Brief - 0
- Police investigate cause of injuries to Seabrook family - 0
- Queen City community to celebrate U.N. World Refugee Day today - 0
- Bethlehem Hebrew Congregation’s 93rd season has something for everyone - 0
George Will: A case for upward mobility
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840