LeBel All-Stars washed out Saturday, return to action today at noon
Some things to watch for as EL season winds down
Heavy rains drenched western Massachusetts Saturday afternoon and halted play at the New England 13-year-old Babe Ruth Regional Tournament in Westfield, Mass., with Manchester's Ray LeBel All-Stars trailing Bennington, Vt., 2-1, in the bottom of the second inning.
The teams will return to the diamond today at noon to resume the losers' bracket contest.
Manchester grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning as Drew Merrick singled home Pat Swanson with the game's first run. But the Vermonters responded with two runs in the home half of the frame as LeBel starting pitcher Cam Nowawski issued several bases on balls.
Manchester manager Tony Doucet expects Nowawski to take the ball to the hill when the game resumes today.
“He a big strong kid with a good hard fastball and when he's on he's tough to hit,” said Doucet. “He had a little bit of wildness, but the timing of the rain today was bad because he was starting find his rythm and was throwing strikes in the second.”
Manchester, which suffered a 14-4 setback to host Westfield, Mass., Friday, must win today to remain alive in the double-elimination tourney.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Storms knock out power to about 3,600 PSNH customers - 0
- Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious - 0
- American Medical Response back in good graces of key Manchester officials - 0
- Lebanon’s Colette Schmidt captures N.E. girls’ golf tourney crown - 0
- Sixteen make cut at State Am qualifying - 0
- Granite Stater Matt Bonner in position for another NBA title - 0
- Clippers, Celtics resume talks on Doc, Garnett deal - 0
- Hampton man indicted for distributing child porn - 0
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
Epping man’s hope for working van realized
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Traffic stops in spotlight
One era ends, another begins at Union Leader
A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely
Study recommends Millyard parking garage
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840