LeBel All-Stars washed out Saturday, return to action today at noon
Some things to watch for as EL season winds down
Heavy rains drenched western Massachusetts Saturday afternoon and halted play at the New England 13-year-old Babe Ruth Regional Tournament in Westfield, Mass., with Manchester's Ray LeBel All-Stars trailing Bennington, Vt., 2-1, in the bottom of the second inning.
The teams will return to the diamond today at noon to resume the losers' bracket contest.
Manchester grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning as Drew Merrick singled home Pat Swanson with the game's first run. But the Vermonters responded with two runs in the home half of the frame as LeBel starting pitcher Cam Nowawski issued several bases on balls.
Manchester manager Tony Doucet expects Nowawski to take the ball to the hill when the game resumes today.
“He a big strong kid with a good hard fastball and when he's on he's tough to hit,” said Doucet. “He had a little bit of wildness, but the timing of the rain today was bad because he was starting find his rythm and was throwing strikes in the second.”
Manchester, which suffered a 14-4 setback to host Westfield, Mass., Friday, must win today to remain alive in the double-elimination tourney.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
For the people: A century of the NH primary
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840