Home » Opinion » Editorials
Wealth and culture: Romney’s obviously true comment
Speaking in Israel about the differences between the Israeli economy and the economy of the Palestinian territories, Mitt Romney noted the huge per-capita income gap in Israel’s favor and then said, “Culture makes all the difference.” The media have branded the remark “controversial.” It is nothing of the sort.
Economist and columnist Thomas Sowell, who has done a great deal of work demonstrating the importance of culture in shaping economic outcomes, writes about this all the time. He has spent decades showing how cultural norms play a huge role in determining economic outcomes.
Explaining his comments in a later interview, Romney cited the work of David Landes, Harvard emeritus professor of history and economics, whose brilliant 1999 book “The Wealth and Poverty of Nations” demonstrated with great clarity how culture, not race or geography, accounted for so much of the huge variations in economic development among nations.
No one can deny that Israel and the Palestinian territories have enormous cultural gaps. Nor is it deniable that culture plays a huge role in determining economic outcomes. Noted economists have made that point for decades. The only thing controversial about Romney’s point is how few reporters have ever encountered it before.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Voter restrictions: Who will govern us? - 26
- School board papers: Beaudry gets left behind - 1
- Data overreach Are programs really justified? The weak case for PRISM. - 11
- A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely - 8
- Border security? Maybe, some day, perhaps. Or not - 35
- Priority profs: University system tops HHS - 5
- Recognizing father: Not PC, but still OK - 1
- Closing Hanover St.: Not a 'free market' move - 6
- Step into the past: Discover old NH this weekend - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 0
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 12
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
- Londonderry emergency shelter will now be open to pets - 0
Dodgeball returns to Windham schools
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time