Manchester LeBel All-Stars ousted from13-year-old Babe Ruth baseball regional
One offensive inning wasn’t good enough for Manchester yesterday.
The Ray LeBel All-Stars scored three runs in the first inning but managed just two base runners the rest of the game as Pittsfield, Mass., eliminated the local nine, 6-3, in the 13-year-old New England Regional Babe Ruth baseball tournament in Westfield, Mass.
“There’s no shame in finishing fourth best in New England,” said Manchester manager Tony Doucet. “I’m proud of my kids, they went down fighting to the last out.”
Manchester started the game strong, taking a 3-0 first-inning lead. Jason Derome singled home Pat Swanson who reached on a two-base throwing error and Kyle Jutras singled home Drew Merrick who was hit by a pitch. Derome later scored on an error.
But that was it. From the last out of the second inning to the seventh inning, Pittsfield starter Shane McMahon retired 13 straight batters and 16 of the final 17 hitters. Swanson reached McMahon for a hit in the second inning and Jutras opened the seventh inning with a single.
“McMahon pitched well, got ahead of the batters in the count and didn’t walk anyone,” said Doucet. “His curveball was working when he got ahead in the count. Whenever we got a solid hit off him, it went right at a fielder. That pretty much was the story.”
The LeBels finished the season 8-3, beating Portsmouth twice to win the state tournament in Keene and sending Bennington, Vt., and Warwick, R.I., home with victories in the losers’ bracket. “I think this group will continue to have success over the next two seasons in Babe Ruth,” said Doucet.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats, New Britain split - 0
- Ayotte praises first responders, veterans - 0
- Fremont man returned to face NH charges - 0
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard holds change of command ceremony - 0
- Sons' overdoses spur father to share his story with others - 0
- Miller ready to spell, but doesn't want to go 'Dutch' - 0
- Weather to slowly improve over long weekend - 0
- 4 arrested in investigation of heroin sales in Portsmouth - 0
- Golf cart to make visits to veterans cemetery easier - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Fremont man returned to face NH charges
State puts out call for foster parents
Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: With ground rules, cats and dogs can live together at lake house