May 24, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Durham grandmother arrested in Conn. hiding grandson, 4, from boy's father
HOLLIS - A Durham grandmother is under arrest in Connecticut where police said she hid her four-year-old grandson in a custody dispute with his father.
Sandra Thorne, 67, of 10 Watson Road, was arrested on a fugitive from justice charge in Windsor Locks, Conn. late Wednesday night. Hollis police obtained a warrant for her arrest on a class B felony charge of interference with custody.
Hollis police began an investigation after receiving a report of a possible parental kidnapping about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Over the next eight hours, the child was tracked to a hotel in Windsor Locks, where Lt. Richard Mello said he was being concealed by Thorne.
Mello said the initial information received was that the child's mother, whose name he would not release because the investigation is ongoing, took him out of the state, contrary to an order issued in the 9th Circuit Court, Nashua Family Division. Originally, the couple had joint custody of the child, according to Mello.
He said the investigation is continuing and police do not know if the mother was involved in taking the child or hiding him from his father, identified as John Testa. She was not at the hotel when police arrested Thorne, he said.
Police tried to get Thorne to voluntarily turn over the child to law enforcement and, when that failed, she was arrested at the hotel. The child was unharmed and in good condition. He was returned to the custody of his father.
Thorne will appear in a Windsor Locks courtroom today on the fugitive from justice charge. If she waives extradiction, Mello said she will be brought back to New Hampshire later today. If not, he said police will have to obtain a Governor's Warrant to have her returned to the state, which he said could take several days.
Police said additional charges are possible.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth drug raid nets four arrests for sale of heroin - 0
- Manchester Market clerk robbed by man armed with knife - 0
- Man who spent days under Salem woman's trailer recording sentenced to prison - 2
- Man sought for attempting to lure girl into white van near Nashua school - 0
- Lawyer who made porn videos of teenage daughter gets 40 years in jail - 33
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 9
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 3
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 1
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424