Home » News » Public Safety
Dogs running on highway cause three-car accident
HOPKINTON — Two drivers and a dog were injured following a three-car accident early Friday on I-89, which state police say was caused in part by two dogs running free on the highway.
According to New Hampshire Troop D State Trooper Abbott Presby, a driver traveling along I-89 North, just after a slight bend in the road past Exit 5 in Hopkinton, at about 9:10 a.m. Friday came across two dogs running on and across the highway. That driver, who was not identified by police, pulled over into the breakdown lane to try and coax the dogs off the roadway. Trooper Presby said the driver did not own or recognize the dogs, and was simply trying to get the dogs out of harm's way.
A second vehicle, a Jeep Cherokee, then came around the bend, and the driver slowed after seeing the dogs and the car pulled over. A third vehicle, a Buick SUV, came behind the Jeep and was unable to slow in time, and struck the Cherokee. That sent the Jeep across the road and into the parked Scion.
“I know one of the dogs was hit as well,” said Trooper Presby. “It was taken to an local veterinarian, but I'm not aware of its condition at this time.”
Presby said that the drivers of the second and third vehicles involved were transported and evaluated at Concord Hospital with what he termed 'minor' injuries.
“We're trying to determine who owns the dogs,” said Presby. “One of them took off after the accident, and hasn't been located yet.”
I-89 was briefly shut down while emergency personnel responded to the crash. Presby said that as of Friday afternoon, no citations or charges were issued in connection with the accident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name