Home » Opinion » Editorials
What distraction? Dems discover social issues
New Hampshire Democrats have spent months trying to get voters to believe this false story about New Hampshire Republicans: They ignored real issues to push their social agenda instead. Now that Democrats are making social issues a central campaign issue in the hope that voters will forget about the economy, will they keep calling social issues a distraction?
In February, House Democrats claimed that “Republican leadership in the House appears more than willing to take on high-profile social issues instead of concentrating on job creation.” House Democrats claimed that spending time on same-sex marriage “distracts” Republicans from focusing on jobs.
On Monday, Sen. Jeanne Shaheen applauded the news that the national Democratic Party intends to include support for same-sex marriage in its platform. When President Obama made same-sex marriage a campaign issue back in May, New Hampshire Democratic Party Chairman Ray Buckley hailed the decision.
Both of the Democrats' major gubernatorial candidates support same-sex marriage and frequently attack the Republican candidates for opposing it. It seems that social issues are a “distraction” from the economy only when Republicans talk about them.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Pat Buchanan: Barack Obama is the spectator President - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense - 1
- Another View: Amendments to the Senate casino bill make it worth passing - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 2
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 3
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 24
- Pat Buchanan: For what should Americans die? - 1
- Your Turn, NH: Common Core will be a costly burden for students, taxpayers - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The IRS was only following Obama's lead - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 0
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 6
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 29
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire