Home » Opinion » Editorials
What distraction? Dems discover social issues
New Hampshire Democrats have spent months trying to get voters to believe this false story about New Hampshire Republicans: They ignored real issues to push their social agenda instead. Now that Democrats are making social issues a central campaign issue in the hope that voters will forget about the economy, will they keep calling social issues a distraction?
In February, House Democrats claimed that “Republican leadership in the House appears more than willing to take on high-profile social issues instead of concentrating on job creation.” House Democrats claimed that spending time on same-sex marriage “distracts” Republicans from focusing on jobs.
On Monday, Sen. Jeanne Shaheen applauded the news that the national Democratic Party intends to include support for same-sex marriage in its platform. When President Obama made same-sex marriage a campaign issue back in May, New Hampshire Democratic Party Chairman Ray Buckley hailed the decision.
Both of the Democrats' major gubernatorial candidates support same-sex marriage and frequently attack the Republican candidates for opposing it. It seems that social issues are a “distraction” from the economy only when Republicans talk about them.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: Get the IRS out of the speech business altogether - 9
- Another View -- Ryan Gallagher: The U.S. government spies on reporters all too frequently - 4
- John Stossel: Who has true grit anymore? - 0
- Another View: New Hampshire would take a risky bet on casinos - 6
- Ramesh Ponnuru: In flextime fight, liberals play to their stereotype - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Benghazi's smoking guns - 1
- Another View: Nashua does need to conduct its own review of commuter rail - 1
- George Will: Forgetting the lessons of Watergate - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Screeching lies does not count as debate - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19