Home » Opinion » Editorials
What distraction? Dems discover social issues
New Hampshire Democrats have spent months trying to get voters to believe this false story about New Hampshire Republicans: They ignored real issues to push their social agenda instead. Now that Democrats are making social issues a central campaign issue in the hope that voters will forget about the economy, will they keep calling social issues a distraction?
In February, House Democrats claimed that “Republican leadership in the House appears more than willing to take on high-profile social issues instead of concentrating on job creation.” House Democrats claimed that spending time on same-sex marriage “distracts” Republicans from focusing on jobs.
On Monday, Sen. Jeanne Shaheen applauded the news that the national Democratic Party intends to include support for same-sex marriage in its platform. When President Obama made same-sex marriage a campaign issue back in May, New Hampshire Democratic Party Chairman Ray Buckley hailed the decision.
Both of the Democrats' major gubernatorial candidates support same-sex marriage and frequently attack the Republican candidates for opposing it. It seems that social issues are a “distraction” from the economy only when Republicans talk about them.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 39
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false