Williamson in final four at Western Am
Hanover's Peter Williamson won his first two match-play rounds on Friday and advanced to the final four at the Western Amateur Golf Championship at Exmoor Country Club in Highland Park, Ill.
Williamson, who completed his career at Dartmouth College in the spring, defeated Alex Moon, 4 and 3, in round one and Lorens Chan, 5 and 3, in the second round to move on to today's semifinal round.
Williamson will meet Jordan Russell of College Station, Texas, today. If Williamson wins, he would play either Chris Williams or Abraham Ancer in the championship round, also today.
Against Moon, Williamson began to pull away on the third hole after both golfers managed par on holes 1 and 2.
Williamson shot a four (par) on both the third and fourth hole while Moon bogeyed both. Williamson took holes 6 and 8 (with a birdie on the latter).
After Williamson won hole 9, Moon responded with a birdie on 10 to claim his first hole and followed with a win on 11 to pull within three.
The pair then played even on the next three holes before Williamson scored a win on 15 to give him the match with a four-hole lead with three holes remaining.
Williamson fell behind in his second-round match as Chans scored wins on hole 1 and 3 to open with a solid advantage. But Williamson came back with wins on holes 5, 7 and 8 to take the lead.
Williamson continued to control the match, scoring a win on hole 10 before Chans rebounded to win hole 11. Wins on holes 13 and 15 secured the victory for Williamson and sent him on to today's semifinal action.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 1
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
- Belmont makes deal to sell Winnisquam fire station for $240,000 - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840