Williamson in final four at Western Am
Hanover's Peter Williamson won his first two match-play rounds on Friday and advanced to the final four at the Western Amateur Golf Championship at Exmoor Country Club in Highland Park, Ill.
Williamson, who completed his career at Dartmouth College in the spring, defeated Alex Moon, 4 and 3, in round one and Lorens Chan, 5 and 3, in the second round to move on to today's semifinal round.
Williamson will meet Jordan Russell of College Station, Texas, today. If Williamson wins, he would play either Chris Williams or Abraham Ancer in the championship round, also today.
Against Moon, Williamson began to pull away on the third hole after both golfers managed par on holes 1 and 2.
Williamson shot a four (par) on both the third and fourth hole while Moon bogeyed both. Williamson took holes 6 and 8 (with a birdie on the latter).
After Williamson won hole 9, Moon responded with a birdie on 10 to claim his first hole and followed with a win on 11 to pull within three.
The pair then played even on the next three holes before Williamson scored a win on 15 to give him the match with a four-hole lead with three holes remaining.
Williamson fell behind in his second-round match as Chans scored wins on hole 1 and 3 to open with a solid advantage. But Williamson came back with wins on holes 5, 7 and 8 to take the lead.
Williamson continued to control the match, scoring a win on hole 10 before Chans rebounded to win hole 11. Wins on holes 13 and 15 secured the victory for Williamson and sent him on to today's semifinal action.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Divisions still under discussion - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats' fortunes at Maine may rest with the big guys - 0
- Monarchs continue their battle of the Atlantic - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 1
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
- Reams threatens to sue county commissioners - 0
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 0
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 0
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840