Williamson in final four at Western Am
Hanover's Peter Williamson won his first two match-play rounds on Friday and advanced to the final four at the Western Amateur Golf Championship at Exmoor Country Club in Highland Park, Ill.
Williamson, who completed his career at Dartmouth College in the spring, defeated Alex Moon, 4 and 3, in round one and Lorens Chan, 5 and 3, in the second round to move on to today's semifinal round.
Williamson will meet Jordan Russell of College Station, Texas, today. If Williamson wins, he would play either Chris Williams or Abraham Ancer in the championship round, also today.
Against Moon, Williamson began to pull away on the third hole after both golfers managed par on holes 1 and 2.
Williamson shot a four (par) on both the third and fourth hole while Moon bogeyed both. Williamson took holes 6 and 8 (with a birdie on the latter).
After Williamson won hole 9, Moon responded with a birdie on 10 to claim his first hole and followed with a win on 11 to pull within three.
The pair then played even on the next three holes before Williamson scored a win on 15 to give him the match with a four-hole lead with three holes remaining.
Williamson fell behind in his second-round match as Chans scored wins on hole 1 and 3 to open with a solid advantage. But Williamson came back with wins on holes 5, 7 and 8 to take the lead.
Williamson continued to control the match, scoring a win on hole 10 before Chans rebounded to win hole 11. Wins on holes 13 and 15 secured the victory for Williamson and sent him on to today's semifinal action.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
- Plymouth State speaker tells grads to 'Become agents of change' - 0
- Former FBI head tells St. Anselm graduates it is important to give back - 1
- UNH commencement speaker tells graduates: Don't worry about mistakes, learn from them - 2
- Ayotte tells NEC graduates to be passionate about their work - 1
- Antioch University awards 145 degrees - 0
- Message to Nashua Community College grads: find strength - 0
- 160 students graduate from White Mountains Community College - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- NH troopers help Boston victims - 0
- New president named at FIRST - 0
- NH Military People: NH woman graduates from Air Force training - 0
- Oxbow captures Preakness Stakes - 0
- Portsmouth driver distracted by Facebook hits utility pole - 0
- Robber escapes with drugs from Keene CVS - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'
Hooksett Police Commission walks away
Mass. men arrested on drugs, weapons charges
Nashua school parking surprise
NH vote nears on expansion of Medicaid
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840