Twins beat Red Sox in 10 innings
BOSTON — Former New Hampshire Fisher Cat Darin Mastroianni doubled and scored on Jamie Carroll's single in the 10th inning, lifting the Minnesota Twins to a 6-5 comeback win over the Red Sox on Friday night.
Boston had led, 5-1, after a four-run third inning. The frame was highlighted by a three-run homer by Carl Crawford.
But Boston starter Felix Doubront coughed up the lead in the fifth. Minnesota tied it with four runs of its own, the big blow being a two-run single by Justin Morneau.
Vicente Padilla (4-1) relieved in the ninth inning and allowed the Twins' run in the 10th. Jeff Gray (6-1) earned the win, with Jared Burton picking up his fourth save.
- - - - - - -
By now, it wasn't a surprise that the Red Sox announced Josh Beckett will miss his next start, which had been scheduled for Sunday. Everything that has occurred over the past few days has trended in that direction.
The only uncertainty is when he will pitch again.
Asked if Beckett will need to go on the 15-day disabled list, Bobby Valentine said Friday it “seems unlikely,” but remains “kind of nebulous.” Meanwhile, GM Ben Cherington said the Red Sox have reason to be confident that Beckett will miss only one start. Beckett left Tuesday night's game against the Detroit Tigers in the third inning because of back spasms.
Franklin Morales will start Sunday in Beckett's place, as expected.
Also, a team source said there's “nothing going on right now” in terms of the Red Sox pursuing Derek Lowe, who was designated for assignment Wednesday by the Cleveland Indians.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 26
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off