Twins beat Red Sox in 10 innings
BOSTON — Former New Hampshire Fisher Cat Darin Mastroianni doubled and scored on Jamie Carroll's single in the 10th inning, lifting the Minnesota Twins to a 6-5 comeback win over the Red Sox on Friday night.
Boston had led, 5-1, after a four-run third inning. The frame was highlighted by a three-run homer by Carl Crawford.
But Boston starter Felix Doubront coughed up the lead in the fifth. Minnesota tied it with four runs of its own, the big blow being a two-run single by Justin Morneau.
Vicente Padilla (4-1) relieved in the ninth inning and allowed the Twins' run in the 10th. Jeff Gray (6-1) earned the win, with Jared Burton picking up his fourth save.
- - - - - - -
By now, it wasn't a surprise that the Red Sox announced Josh Beckett will miss his next start, which had been scheduled for Sunday. Everything that has occurred over the past few days has trended in that direction.
The only uncertainty is when he will pitch again.
Asked if Beckett will need to go on the 15-day disabled list, Bobby Valentine said Friday it “seems unlikely,” but remains “kind of nebulous.” Meanwhile, GM Ben Cherington said the Red Sox have reason to be confident that Beckett will miss only one start. Beckett left Tuesday night's game against the Detroit Tigers in the third inning because of back spasms.
Franklin Morales will start Sunday in Beckett's place, as expected.
Also, a team source said there's “nothing going on right now” in terms of the Red Sox pursuing Derek Lowe, who was designated for assignment Wednesday by the Cleveland Indians.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
- Derry school district continues to push its high-achieving students - 0
- Keene State professor eager to explore plant’s mysteries - 0
- Windham to reconsider dodgeball ban - 0
- Hooksett students taken to nearby school after gas leak - 0
- Londonderry students who haven't had whooping cough vaccine asked to stay home - 0
- Pinkerton Academy grads told they are 'a promising generation' - 1
- Derry school district looks to boost its bandwith - 0
- Nashua South grads told to embrace lessons from challenges - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 16
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 12
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
UPDATED: Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally