Twins beat Red Sox in 10 innings
BOSTON — Former New Hampshire Fisher Cat Darin Mastroianni doubled and scored on Jamie Carroll's single in the 10th inning, lifting the Minnesota Twins to a 6-5 comeback win over the Red Sox on Friday night.
Boston had led, 5-1, after a four-run third inning. The frame was highlighted by a three-run homer by Carl Crawford.
But Boston starter Felix Doubront coughed up the lead in the fifth. Minnesota tied it with four runs of its own, the big blow being a two-run single by Justin Morneau.
Vicente Padilla (4-1) relieved in the ninth inning and allowed the Twins' run in the 10th. Jeff Gray (6-1) earned the win, with Jared Burton picking up his fourth save.
- - - - - - -
By now, it wasn't a surprise that the Red Sox announced Josh Beckett will miss his next start, which had been scheduled for Sunday. Everything that has occurred over the past few days has trended in that direction.
The only uncertainty is when he will pitch again.
Asked if Beckett will need to go on the 15-day disabled list, Bobby Valentine said Friday it “seems unlikely,” but remains “kind of nebulous.” Meanwhile, GM Ben Cherington said the Red Sox have reason to be confident that Beckett will miss only one start. Beckett left Tuesday night's game against the Detroit Tigers in the third inning because of back spasms.
Franklin Morales will start Sunday in Beckett's place, as expected.
Also, a team source said there's “nothing going on right now” in terms of the Red Sox pursuing Derek Lowe, who was designated for assignment Wednesday by the Cleveland Indians.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senate removes student IDs as indisputable ID for voting - 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 2
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 5
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 13
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
License revocations for DWI announced