Public also can track data with cellphones
It's not just companies that can use location data from mobile phones. You really can try this at home.
For today's smartphones, there are a lot of apps that can help with directions, locate a favorite coffee shop and even find where your friends are.
Ryan Dube works in IT and writes a technology blog for makeuseof.com. In an article about Google's Latitude app, he demonstrated how easy it was to find his friend in Derry.
But Dube, who lives in Maine, warns that if you don't set up an app like that correctly, you could end up broadcasting your location to everyone else, as well.
He's not too worried about adults. But he won't let his own children use smartphones. “You don't want your kids letting the world know where they are all the time,” he said.
Dube said a cellphone is in essence a tracking device. And he said that can be a boon, for example, when police are trying to find a missing child who has a cellphone with him or her.
However, he said, “I don't think many people really realize that if you have a cellphone, your cellphone company or the government or other authorities can find you.
“I think if more people knew that, they might not carry their phones around with them so much.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
- Angry birds clash - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Volunteers sought for discipline committees
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council