NECBL: Swamp Bats sweep, Muskrats are eliminated
Scoring five runs with two outs in the top of the fourth, the Keene Swamp Bats completed their two-game series sweep of the Vermont Mountaineers with a 8-6 NECBL playoff victory in Montpelier, Vt., Saturday.
Laconia, meanwhile, was eliminated from the league playoffs as New Bedford topped the Muskrats 11-5 at Robbie Mills Field in the Lake City.
Keene, which blasted the Mountaineers 22-0 in the series opener Friday, pushed five runs across in the fourth to take command of the game, 5-1. With JP Sportman and Frankie Schwindel (double) aboard with two out, Cameron O'Brien, Fran Whitten (double), Dylan Moore, Mike Papi and Grant Kay bunched hits to cement the victory.
The slugging Swamp Bats pounded out a dozen hits in the game and finished the best-of-three series with 32 base knocks. Eight of the nine batters in the Keene starting lineup hit safely in the game.
Scott Simon fired a three-hitter over seven innings and struck out five to gain the win.
Vermont tallied its four runs in the bottom of the ninth. The highlight of the inning was a two-run homer run by Logan Pierce.
Keene added three late-inning runs to complete its scoring.
New Bedford, meanwhile, broke open a close ball game with six runs in the top of the seventh to end the Muskrats' season.
After falling behind by a two runs in the second, Laconia halved the Bay Sox' advantage with a run in the fifth on hits by Regan Flaherty and Ryan Phelan and a sacrifice fly by Will Leathers.
Laconia added two runs to its totals in the seventh when it faced a 9-1 deficit. After Leathers drew a base on balls, Kyle Convissar hit a long home run.
The Muskrats final runs in the eighth were fueled by a pair of Bay Sox errors and a wild pitch.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats power Stroman to first win at New Britain - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Portland offense rips Fisher Cats - 0
- Fisher Cats walk off with win - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Portland's Michael Almanzar is the Comeback Kid - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Sea Dogs’ Vazquez showing all the tools - 0
- Walden sparkles as Fishers blank Sea Dogs - 0
- For Fisher Cats, here come the Sea Dogs - 0
- Fisher Cats win, then head home for Sea Dogs series - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- House kills Hassan-backed casino bill, 199-164 - 10
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs over an ounce - 8
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840