Keene prevails again in Babe Ruth tourney
New Hampshire champion Keene staved off a three-run late-game rally and defeated Pittsfield, Mass., 4-3, in winners' bracket action at the New England Babe Ruth 15-year-old baseball tournament at Adams Field in Quincy, Mass., Saturday afternoon.
The John Watterson All-Stars are 2-0 in regional play and take on Waterford, Conn., also 2-0, Monday, at 5 p.m.
Mason Blanchard took the ball to the hill for Keene and worked five scoreless innings, allowing three hits and striking out five. He was relieved by Spenser Heise in the sixth.
After another scoreless frame, Pittsfield ignited for three runs during its final at-bat. Hits by Austin O'Neill, Joey Dewey (double), Anthony Jones and Chris Shade sparked the burst.
Keene led 4-0 after scoring single runs in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth innings. However, the Wattersons, who are now 7-1 in post-season play, managed only five hits in the game as Patrick Wisell, Stephen Bianco, Ben Mallet, Isaiah Singer and Dallas Landry were able to solve the offerings of Pittsfield's pitching duo of Devon Johnston and Bobby New. Johnston tossed three innings of hitless ball.
Keene took advantage of four Pittsfield errors.
Mallet is pacing the Keene offense with five hits in the regional while Landry has four.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fergus Cullen: The Christmas card many of us wish we could send - 0
- Ben Dick: Teachers had good reason to reject Manchester contract offer - 16
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare: Silence of the insurers - 3
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 47
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 2
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840