Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox topple Texas, 9-2, back to .500
BOSTON — Aaron Cook bounced back from a string of poor starts with seven strong innings and Carl Crawford continued his hot streak with three RBIs as host Boston took the opener of a three-game series from Texas.
Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury each chipped in three hits and an RBI and Adrian Gonzalez drove in three runs for the Red Sox, who have won back-to-back games to once again pull back to .500 at 55-55.
Cook (3-5) allowed one run on six hits while walking three and matching a season high with two strikeouts.
The right-hander, who had been knocked around for 12 runs in 8 2/3 innings over his last two turns, had his sinkerball working and induced 15 groundouts against one flyout.
Rangers starter Yu Darvish (11-8) was not as sharp in his Fenway Park debut, getting knocked around for six runs and 11 hits while walking four and striking out nine in 6 2/3 innings.
Texas took the lead with a run in the second but Boston bounced back in the third. Ellsbury led off with a double and Crawford followed with a two-base hit before scoring in a batter later on Gonzalez’s double.
Ellsbury, Crawford and Pedroia each added an RBI in a three-run rally in the fourth that opened the gap.
Gonzalez singled in another in the seventh and joined Crawford and Cody Ross with RBIs in a three-run eighth. Crawford is 9-for-18 with eight RBIs and six runs scored in the last four games.
David Murphy singled in a run and Adrian Beltre hit a solo homer for Texas, which has dropped back-to-back contests.
NOTEBOOK: Red Sox DH David Ortiz (Achilles) will have an injection in his right heel but there is still no timetable for his return. ... Michael Young made his first start of the season at SS for the Rangers in place of Elvis Andrus (shoulder), who was banged up on a play at the plate Sunday. Andrus expects to return on Tuesday. ... Texas RHP Roy Oswalt will remain in the bullpen despite his desire to be a starting pitcher.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice