Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Conway product Locke called up to bigs
The Pirates recalled left-hander Jeff Locke from Class AAA Indianapolis before Wednesday’s game and optioned outfielder Alex Presley to Indianapolis.
Locke will likely provide a long relief option out of the bullpen while Kevin Correia, who is making a spot start in tonight’s game, is unavailable. Correia should be available in relief by Saturday’s game.
Locke, 24, made 21 starts for Indianapolis this season and struck out 113 batters in 125 innings with a 2.66 ERA. He joined the Pirates, along with Gorkys Hernandez and Charlie Morton, from the Atlanta Braves organization in a trade for Nate McLouth in 2009.
Locke made four starts for the Pirates last season.
Locke is from Conway, N.H. He starred at Kennett High School and was a first-round pick of the Atlanta Braves in 2006.
Presley, 26, hit .234 with a .275 on-base percentage this season. He spent 20 games in the minors earlier this season. The promotion of Starling Marte and the acquisition of former New Hampshire Fisher Cat Travis Snider from Toronto relegated him to a bench role.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Francona can't look back - 0
- Francona's Tribe too much for Sox - 1
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: It’s all baseball now for Tito - 0
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
- Dunn homer paces White Sox over Red Sox - 0
- Red Sox outlast Twins, lengthy rain delay - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats, New Britain split - 0
- Ayotte praises first responders, veterans - 0
- Fremont man returned to face NH charges - 0
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard holds change of command ceremony - 0
- Sons' overdoses spur father to share his story with others - 0
- Miller ready to spell, but doesn't want to go 'Dutch' - 0
- Weather to slowly improve over long weekend - 0
- 4 arrested in investigation of heroin sales in Portsmouth - 0
- Golf cart to make visits to veterans cemetery easier - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Fremont man returned to face NH charges
State puts out call for foster parents
Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: With ground rules, cats and dogs can live together at lake house