Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Conway product Locke called up to bigs
The Pirates recalled left-hander Jeff Locke from Class AAA Indianapolis before Wednesday’s game and optioned outfielder Alex Presley to Indianapolis.
Locke will likely provide a long relief option out of the bullpen while Kevin Correia, who is making a spot start in tonight’s game, is unavailable. Correia should be available in relief by Saturday’s game.
Locke, 24, made 21 starts for Indianapolis this season and struck out 113 batters in 125 innings with a 2.66 ERA. He joined the Pirates, along with Gorkys Hernandez and Charlie Morton, from the Atlanta Braves organization in a trade for Nate McLouth in 2009.
Locke made four starts for the Pirates last season.
Locke is from Conway, N.H. He starred at Kennett High School and was a first-round pick of the Atlanta Braves in 2006.
Presley, 26, hit .234 with a .275 on-base percentage this season. He spent 20 games in the minors earlier this season. The promotion of Starling Marte and the acquisition of former New Hampshire Fisher Cat Travis Snider from Toronto relegated him to a bench role.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 8
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 3
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 1
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 5
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options