Lancaster girls' softball team finishes third
A long but rewarding season came to an end yesterday for the Lancaster girls’ softball team.
Great North Woods finished third in the country after falling 3-0 to Madison N.C. in the losers’ bracket finals of the Babe Ruth 16U Softball World Series Tuesday in Wilson County, N.C.
The Way North team, comprised mostly of players who led the White Mountains Regional of Whitefield softball team to the NHIAA Class M championship with an 18-2 record, finished the summer season with a 35-7 record.
“I’m very proud of the entire team,” said Great North Woods coach Forrest Hicks. “All summer our girls played with heart and showed a lot of commitment to each other.”
In the loss yesterday, starting pitcher Erika Millett allowed three runs and eight hits in a complete game effort. She fanned three and walked one.
Becca Hicks had two hits and Kalie Savage added one. Lancaster’s best chance to score was in the second inning with runners on second and third. But Madison retired the final two batters in the inning to preserve its shutout win.
“Madison has a team which draws from three high schools in their area and Wilson County has won 15 straight World Series games and 22 of their last 23,” said Hicks. “Considering we’re a lot smaller compared to those programs, to finish third in the country really says a lot about our girls and team. It’s a great accomplishment.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox win rain-delayed twinbill opener - 0
- Dad-to-be Gonzalez, Orioles top Red Sox - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: The journey begins for NH minor leaguers - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: AL East is still a beast - 0
- Lackey hurls Red Sox to win over O's - 0
- Buchholz may be headed for disabled list - 0
- Conway's Locke wins sixth as Bucs top Dodgers - 0
- Orioles efficient in win over Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Prospect Nolin gets taste of major leagues, vows to return - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Senate mum on House proposal for special session on Medicare - 3
- NH man killed ex-wife's husband, self, Vermont police say - 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- UPDATED: Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 22
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 12
UPDATED: Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840