Lancaster girls' softball team finishes third
A long but rewarding season came to an end yesterday for the Lancaster girls’ softball team.
Great North Woods finished third in the country after falling 3-0 to Madison N.C. in the losers’ bracket finals of the Babe Ruth 16U Softball World Series Tuesday in Wilson County, N.C.
The Way North team, comprised mostly of players who led the White Mountains Regional of Whitefield softball team to the NHIAA Class M championship with an 18-2 record, finished the summer season with a 35-7 record.
“I’m very proud of the entire team,” said Great North Woods coach Forrest Hicks. “All summer our girls played with heart and showed a lot of commitment to each other.”
In the loss yesterday, starting pitcher Erika Millett allowed three runs and eight hits in a complete game effort. She fanned three and walked one.
Becca Hicks had two hits and Kalie Savage added one. Lancaster’s best chance to score was in the second inning with runners on second and third. But Madison retired the final two batters in the inning to preserve its shutout win.
“Madison has a team which draws from three high schools in their area and Wilson County has won 15 straight World Series games and 22 of their last 23,” said Hicks. “Considering we’re a lot smaller compared to those programs, to finish third in the country really says a lot about our girls and team. It’s a great accomplishment.”
READER COMMENTS: 4
- House kills Hassan-backed casino bill, 199-164 - 10
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs over an ounce - 8
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840