U.S. men's soccer team gets historic win over Mexico
MEXICO CITY — Michael Orozco scored a late winner as the United States upset Mexico, 1-0, in a stirring soccer friendly on Wednesday to register their first win at their arch-rivals.
Orozco’s 80th-minute goal was complemented by a pair of fine saves by U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard in the last 10 minutes to secure victory at Mexico City’s Azteca stadium.
Facing a dangerous attack led by Javier Hernandez, the U.S. surrendered possession for most of the match and appeared content to escape with a draw.
But the game turned when Brek Shea made a surprise run on the left wing and played a ball that was back-heeled by Terrance Boyd and knocked in goal by Orozco.
The Americans’ previous best result on Mexican soil was 0-0 in 1998.
READER COMMENTS: 16
- Leading vs. following: Ayotte, Shaheen and the polls - 23
- The cupcake police: Stop! In the name of lard! - 15
- Page One Editorial: Obama is right - 27
- Taxed tips: Another NH revenue grab - 9
- Gosnell and NH: The horror of late-term abortion - 8
- Bridging the night: Bright ideas in Portsmouth - 0
- Shameful: Obama's Benghazi dishonesty - 29
- Hassan’s stunt: Northern Pass and priorities - 15
- Student IDs: Not this again - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Vending machines go natural - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840