Home » Opinion » Editorials
A clear, stark choice: It is Romney-Ryan that has a plan
Democrats have put on a brave face about the announcement nine days ago of U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan as Mitt Romney’s running mate. But cracks are appearing in that facade.
The Obama team says Ryan is the bogeyman who will “end Medicare as we know it’’ and will strip Social Security recipients of their earnings and dismantle the social service safety net.
But what Team Obama has inadvertently done instead is to focus the public’s attention on just what a fix those programs are in and how spending has crushed the country. Where Obama claims, falsely, that Romney-Ryan will devastate the old and the infirm, the Republican ticket is actually trying to keep the country from going off a fiscal cliff and taking not just the old but our children and grandchildren over with it.
Romney-Ryan offers a choice. Obama-Biden offers nothing but more of the same. Tax the rich (more), spend more (that we don’t have), and turn a high-cost medical system into a higher-cost, socialized priority list.
As the Wall Street Journal noted last week, Paul Ryan joined with Democratic U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden last year with a Medicare reform plan that “explicitly retains Medicare as we know it as a continuing option.’’
“The reform difference is that seniors would for the first time also have a choice of government-funded private insurance options. The Wyden-Ryan belief is that the choices resulting from private competition will be both cheaper and better.’’
You won’t hear any of that from the Obama side and precious little of it in much of the news media. But New Hampshire voters are smart enough to sort through the blather and make one of the most important and informed election decisions of their lives.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
- Outrage du jour Garcia, Sullivan and victimhood - 31
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2008 ice storm left thousands powerless, changed the way NH prepares - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Key NH Dems attend Lantos Foundation event honoring Clinton, White House parties - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 1
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 2
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed