Roger Clemens to pitch for Atlantic League team on Saturday
Roger Clemens, who won a record seven Cy Young Awards in a 24-year Major League Baseball career tainted by allegations of steroid use, will pitch for the minor-league Sugar Land Skeeters this weekend, representatives for him and the team said.
Clemens, 50, will be in uniform on Friday and pitch the following night at home against Bridgeport, said Christopher Hill, the Skeeters' vice president of business development.
The independent team bills itself as the Houston area's minor-league club. Clemens is a Texas native.
“It's a one-game thing with the Skeeters and we will go from there,” said Randy Hendricks, agent for the Texas native. “If he does well, he would probably pitch one more game for them.”
Clemens in June was found not guilty of lying to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs. A federal jury of eight women and four men in Washington acquitted Clemens of all six counts he faced.
Clemens has denied using steroids and human-growth hormone since a 2007 report by former Sen. George Mitchell accused him of using the drugs in 1998, 2000 and 2001.
Clemens was indicted on one count of obstructing a congressional investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs by Major League Baseball players.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840