Roger Clemens to pitch for Atlantic League team on Saturday
Roger Clemens, who won a record seven Cy Young Awards in a 24-year Major League Baseball career tainted by allegations of steroid use, will pitch for the minor-league Sugar Land Skeeters this weekend, representatives for him and the team said.
Clemens, 50, will be in uniform on Friday and pitch the following night at home against Bridgeport, said Christopher Hill, the Skeeters' vice president of business development.
The independent team bills itself as the Houston area's minor-league club. Clemens is a Texas native.
“It's a one-game thing with the Skeeters and we will go from there,” said Randy Hendricks, agent for the Texas native. “If he does well, he would probably pitch one more game for them.”
Clemens in June was found not guilty of lying to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs. A federal jury of eight women and four men in Washington acquitted Clemens of all six counts he faced.
Clemens has denied using steroids and human-growth hormone since a 2007 report by former Sen. George Mitchell accused him of using the drugs in 1998, 2000 and 2001.
Clemens was indicted on one count of obstructing a congressional investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs by Major League Baseball players.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
- Dunn homer paces White Sox over Red Sox - 0
- Red Sox outlast Twins, lengthy rain delay - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- Sox edge Twins in 10, 3-2 - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Bard tough to watch, tough to root against - 0
- Red Sox catch Rays in ninth - 0
- Drew, Red Sox pound Rays - 0
- Moore survives Ortiz HR, hurls Rays past Red Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 2
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win
New Hampshire Club News
Derry council defends officials' purchases
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840