Pingpong balls falling from on high in Kingston
';I never heard this one before,'; Bergeron said as Bowering grabbed a mesh basket fill with about 700 pingpong balls and climbed into the bucket in the middle of a field at YMCA Camp Lincoln Tuesday night.
Unitil volunteered the two workers and a truck to participate in the youth camp';s first Pingpong Ball Drop to raise money for a summer camp scholarship benefiting children in need of financial help.
Each ball had a number and the one that landed closet to a hole in the ground was the winner. That number was 417 and it was purchased by Bob Mitchell, who won $1,000 but donated the big prize back to the camp.
Rhonda Bernstein, the camp';s development director, said the camp hoped to sell 1,000 numbered balls, but came up a little short at just over 700. Still, she said she was pleased with the success of the event and hopes it will become an annual fundraiser.
';It does go to such a great cause,'; she said.
The balls were dropped about 30 feet over the field before a crowd of parents and children, many of them kids attending the summer camp.
Susan Denault of Merrimac, Mass., and her children, Isabelle, 9, Seth, 11, and Tristan, 6, thought they had a good shot at winning because they purchased ball numbers 112 to 125.
';The odds are much better than Powerball,'; Denault said, laughing.
- - - - - - - -
Jason Schreiber may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.