Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Angels' Weaver stymies Sox
BOSTON — Jered Weaver tossed seven solid innings to record his 16th victory and Howie Kendrick belted a solo homer as visiting Los Angeles defeated Boston for the second straight night.
Maicer Izturis and Chris Iannetta collected three hits and an RBI single apiece. Torii Hunter ripped a two-run single and Mark Trumbo added an RBI single for the Angels, who saw slugger Albert Pujols exit the contest with tightness in his right calf.
Pujols legged out a double in the fourth inning before pulling up lame while running to third base on a groundout by Kendrys Morales. Pujols lumbered home on Trumbo’s base hit, but was promptly taken out of the game.
Weaver (16-3) snapped a two-game skid and joined Tampa Bay’s David Price, Cincinnati’s Johnny Cueto and Washington’s Gio Gonzalez with the major-league lead in victories. Weaver ended a three-game losing skid to Boston by allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out five.
Making his 100th career appearance, Clay Buchholz (11-4) fell for just the second time in his last nine decisions. He permitted seven runs and matched a career high with 12 hits in 5 1/3 innings.
Ryan Lavarnway, Mike Aviles and Cody Ross had RBI doubles for the reeling Red Sox, who fell for the 14th time in 20 games.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rookie Mike Trout extended his hitting streak to nine games with a two-out infield single in the sixth inning. ... Izturis, who went 3-for-3 against Buchholz, improved to 9-for-19 in his career against the hurler. ... Los Angeles owner Arte Moreno attended the game at Fenway Park. ... Buchholz failed to make it through six innings for the first time since May 21.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Schimpf homers twice, Fisher Cats win in Portland - 0
- Fisher Cats power Stroman to first win at New Britain - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Portland offense rips Fisher Cats - 0
- Fisher Cats walk off with win - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Portland's Michael Almanzar is the Comeback Kid - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Sea Dogs’ Vazquez showing all the tools - 0
- Walden sparkles as Fishers blank Sea Dogs - 0
- For Fisher Cats, here come the Sea Dogs - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 1
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 3
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 12
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 32
License revocations for DWI announced