Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Angels' Weaver stymies Sox
BOSTON — Jered Weaver tossed seven solid innings to record his 16th victory and Howie Kendrick belted a solo homer as visiting Los Angeles defeated Boston for the second straight night.
Maicer Izturis and Chris Iannetta collected three hits and an RBI single apiece. Torii Hunter ripped a two-run single and Mark Trumbo added an RBI single for the Angels, who saw slugger Albert Pujols exit the contest with tightness in his right calf.
Pujols legged out a double in the fourth inning before pulling up lame while running to third base on a groundout by Kendrys Morales. Pujols lumbered home on Trumbo’s base hit, but was promptly taken out of the game.
Weaver (16-3) snapped a two-game skid and joined Tampa Bay’s David Price, Cincinnati’s Johnny Cueto and Washington’s Gio Gonzalez with the major-league lead in victories. Weaver ended a three-game losing skid to Boston by allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out five.
Making his 100th career appearance, Clay Buchholz (11-4) fell for just the second time in his last nine decisions. He permitted seven runs and matched a career high with 12 hits in 5 1/3 innings.
Ryan Lavarnway, Mike Aviles and Cody Ross had RBI doubles for the reeling Red Sox, who fell for the 14th time in 20 games.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rookie Mike Trout extended his hitting streak to nine games with a two-out infield single in the sixth inning. ... Izturis, who went 3-for-3 against Buchholz, improved to 9-for-19 in his career against the hurler. ... Los Angeles owner Arte Moreno attended the game at Fenway Park. ... Buchholz failed to make it through six innings for the first time since May 21.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 1
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 2
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 23
- Pat Buchanan: For what should Americans die? - 1
- Your Turn, NH: Common Core will be a costly burden for students, taxpayers - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The IRS was only following Obama's lead - 15
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: Redacted truth, subjunctive outrage - 0
- David Harsanyi: Get the IRS out of the speech business altogether - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police seek Food Mart robber - 1
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
- Manchester mayor to oversee economic development office - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 21 - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford rolls in NHIAA tennis tournament opener - 0
- Franklin Pierce to play Shippensburg in Div. II baseball World Series - 0
- Amendola getting up to speed with Patriots - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Londonderry’s double threat - 0
- No curbside collections in Manchester on Monday - 0
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Manchester police seek Food Mart robber
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs