Home » Opinion » Editorials
Skiing Bedford: The Legacy lease
Bedford was once so small that informal, verbal agreements with local organizations regarding the use of town property were enough to hold the groups accountable and protect the town property. That is changing.
The Bedford cross-country ski team uses Legacy Park in the winter, as do other hikers, walkers and skiers. The team, which had a verbal agreement with town officials from long ago, did some trail work at the park. It was not authorized by any town official, and it upset some residents.
Instead of ousting the club, as some towns might have done, Bedford officials came up with a one-year lease that spells out what club members can and cannot do. As part of the deal, the club has to restore the trails to their previous condition.
It’s a shame that such arrangements have to be so formal. But the town has to protect its property, and a short-term lease is a good option in this case.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: For what should Americans die? - 0
- Your Turn, NH: Common Core will be a costly burden for students, taxpayers - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The IRS was only following Obama's lead - 15
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: Redacted truth, subjunctive outrage - 0
- David Harsanyi: Get the IRS out of the speech business altogether - 10
- Another View -- Ryan Gallagher: The U.S. government spies on reporters all too frequently - 4
- John Stossel: Who has true grit anymore? - 0
- Another View: New Hampshire would take a risky bet on casinos - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs