Beliveau to serve one-game suspension
Souhegan of Amherst head football coach Mike Beliveau will serve a one-game suspension for violating the NHIAA rule regarding preseason filming and scouting.
NHIAA executive director Patrick Corbin on Thursday confirmed the decision. He said Souhegan officials on Wednesday submitted the findings of their investigation. The report included the school-sanctioned punishment they deemed fair.
Corbin said he and the NHIAA football committee agreed.
“I know I had discussions before reading Mike’s recommendation (of missing two games),” said Corbin, referring to Wednesday’s story in the New Hampshire Union Leader. “I had a discussion with their athletics director (Ken Bigley). They were discussing two weeks.
“For the nature of the infraction, in football, two weeks is a good chunk of the season,” Corbin added. “The AD and myself agreed that one game was adequate for this situation.”
Beliveau, therefore, will miss Division III Souhegan’s Aug. 31 season-opener against Division II Winnacunnet of Hampton — the team whose scrimmage he attended last Friday.
“No further comment,” Beliveau said Thursday via text message. Souhegan’s 18-year head coach earlier this week told the Union Leader he unintentionally broke a rule he did not know existed.
The rule states that teams cannot begin attending or filming an opponent’s scrimmage or jamboree until the last one of the preseason.
Beliveau, a four-time championship-winning coach, watched Division I Nashua South scrimmage Winnacunnet.
- - - - - - - -
Marc Thaler may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: Get the IRS out of the speech business altogether - 9
- Another View -- Ryan Gallagher: The U.S. government spies on reporters all too frequently - 4
- John Stossel: Who has true grit anymore? - 0
- Another View: New Hampshire would take a risky bet on casinos - 6
- Ramesh Ponnuru: In flextime fight, liberals play to their stereotype - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Benghazi's smoking guns - 1
- Another View: Nashua does need to conduct its own review of commuter rail - 1
- George Will: Forgetting the lessons of Watergate - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Screeching lies does not count as debate - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840