Home » Opinion » Editorials
Sheriff Szabo? A tyrant in the making
Hillsborough County Sheriff candidate Frank Szabo's campaign platform is enough to disqualify him for the office he seeks. Not many voters, though, probably read into the details of a candidate's positions. Fortunately, Szabo opened his mouth this week and made clear to all just how unfit for the office he is.
In an interview with WMUR-TV that aired Wednesday, Szabo said there is a difference between “legal” and “lawful” activity. Legal is what the law says is legal, but lawful is whatever Szabo thinks is morally right (this is consistent with his campaign platform). Szabo thinks a sheriff should enforce his own view of the Constitution, not the law as written. Asked if that included elective abortions, the pro-life Szabo responded that it did. Would he use deadly force to prevent a doctor from performing an elective abortion?
“Absolutely,” he said. “Well, I would hope that it wouldn't come to that, as with any situation where someone is in danger, but again, specifically talking about elective abortions and late-term abortions, that is an act that needs to be stopped.”
Szabo on Thursday apologized for and retracted the comments. Then he tried to explain them by saying that the only reason he wouldn't shoot an abortionist caught in the act is because abortion is currently legal.
Szabo's appalling comments were no misstatement. They reflected his belief that the sheriff should enforce his own interpretation of the Constitution, not the law. Anyone with that view is wholly unfit to serve.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: Barack Obama is the spectator President - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense - 1
- Another View: Amendments to the Senate casino bill make it worth passing - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 2
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 3
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 24
- Pat Buchanan: For what should Americans die? - 1
- Your Turn, NH: Common Core will be a costly burden for students, taxpayers - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The IRS was only following Obama's lead - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
George Will: The NLRB’s school-door stand
Plaistow fire victim remains critical
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands