Home » News » Public Safety
Police seek residents' help in finding missing Barrington man
BARRINGTON — After conducting a thorough search this past weekend, police hope residents can help find a man who has been missing since Friday.
Roy Chittum, 52, of 26 Estate Drive, was reported missing by his family, who is concerned for his safety and well-being as he is dealing with personal issues.
The search began Friday after Chittum’s vehicle was found near the family home in Barrington Mobile Home Estates, off Franklin Pierce Highway - Routes 9 and 202.
Police Chief Richard Conway said search parties, led by New Hampshire Fish and Game personnel, systematically scoured the thickly wooded area three-quarters of a mile radius around where Chittum’s vehicle was discovered for about 10 to 12 hours both Friday and Saturday.
“That part of the search has been suspended,” Conway said, adding officials felt the search was thorough.
As of Tuesday, police remain hopeful someone in the area will be able to shed some light on the case, according to Officer Toby Perry.
“We continue to look into things, but we have no new tips,” Perry said Tuesday.
Conway said police want to locate Chittum to ensure he is safe, but will not force him to return him home against his wishes. In that case, he added, police would let his family know he had been located.
Conway said about a dozen people took part in the search Friday and about 30 people and seven K-9 teams helped Saturday.
“They worked the area extensively,” Conway said.
Barrington police, Barrington firefighters and rescue personnel, Strafford Police, Strafford County Sheriff’s Department, the New England Canine Search & Rescue Team and the Upper Valley Wilderness Response Team also responded to help with the search.
“It was very heavy terrain,” Conway said, adding it was rocky and overgrown.
Anyone with information about Chittum is encouraged to contact Barrington Police at 664-2700.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name