Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Fisher Cats topped by Sea Dogs in 12
Kevin Gray's On Baseball: Webster makes Sea Dogs debut
MANCHESTER — Bryce Brentz ripped a bases-loaded single in the 12th inning, and Travis Shaw followed with a three-run homer as the Portland Sea Dogs rallied for a 9-3 victory over New Hampshire on Tuesday night.
Portland roughed up reliever John Stilson (2-4), snapping New Hampshire’s nine-game home winning streak at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium. Stilson gave up six runs in the ninth, including an RBI single by spark plug Derrik Gibson.
Winning pitcher Mike MacDonald (3-2), a former Fisher Cats starter, entered in the fifth inning and pitched brilliantly for seven scoreless frames. MacDonald relieved starter Allen Webster, yielding only two hits and striking out six.
Shaw went 3-for-5 with three RBIs. Brentz was hitless until stepping to the plate in the 12th. Goins, playing shallow on the infield grass, nearly snared the Brentz liner that gave Portland the lead.
Defensive excellence by Fisher Cats left fielder Ryan Schimpf and Goins kept the game knotted at 3-3 in the 11th inning. With two outs, Portland’s Shannon Wilkerson doubled down the line, and Christian Vazquez attempted to score from first base. Schimpf made an accurate throw to Goins, who relayed a laser to catcher Brian Jeroloman for the easy out.
Fisher Cats starter Ryan Tepera worked five innings, allowing three runs on four hits. Relievers Michael Dubee, Joel Carreno and Trystan Magnuson kept the Sea Dogs off the scoreboard.
Gibson sparked the 12th-inning rally with a bunt single, then stole second base. Peter Hissey walked, and Marquez Smith reached on a sacrifice bunt that was misplayed by Stilson.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats power Stroman to first win at New Britain - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Portland offense rips Fisher Cats - 0
- Fisher Cats walk off with win - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Portland's Michael Almanzar is the Comeback Kid - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Sea Dogs’ Vazquez showing all the tools - 0
- Walden sparkles as Fishers blank Sea Dogs - 0
- For Fisher Cats, here come the Sea Dogs - 0
- Fisher Cats win, then head home for Sea Dogs series - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Updated: House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 9
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Updated: House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs